Today, Some of the web designers hate WordPress, They say WordPress Content Management System limits their creativity. Designers say that it’s difficult to convert a modern responsive design into a usable WordPress website Theme. Actually, I search over the internet, about how to design a WordPress website. but I never got a perfect guide for my question how to design a WordPress website. You know, There are various elements, Plugins, and processes that make some WordPress builds way better, simpler, and more effective than the other’s platform of a content management system. a great WordPress website isn’t actually that difficult once you know and understand one of the working steps. So today I am going to show you every possible idea, processes, and element for better WordPress website design.
Ideas: how to design a WordPress website
STEP #1: Steal other’s ideas
Yeah, steal other’s ideas. An Idea can help you to design a great website. Never steal the results of anyone’s work; including any types of code, brand identity, brand names and stuff like that. Remember that, this is about stealing ideas only. And even though you might be kind of “I don’t know how to design a blog ” about this, let me just say that stealing ideas is the most common design practice off them all. You know an idea in itself has no value. It’s the execution that matters. You can easily have 5 bloggers start with the same idea, and they will inevitably end up with 5 different results. Don’t be afraid to steal other’s ideas. If you see something that resonates with you, steal it and be done with it.
Now a question is rising in your mind, how to steal other’s ideas? the answer is very simple, search your niche related keywords and collect some great website. use WPTD Tools for finding another’s website themes, plugins and everything they’re using on their website. you can buy or make WordPress theme by itself.
I guess you’re Beginners here, so let’s learn the basic tools in this talk. I am going to show you entire sets of tools and some tools that are not that well known yet, but they still deliver big time.
1. Photoshop: This is photo design tool, it is widely used by most designers.
2. Unsplash: Unsplash is the best source of free high-quality photos with no copyright claims; this means you can use them however you wish.
3. FontAwesome: This is one of the top icon fonts provider; you can also make social logos or favicon for your website from there.
4. Online Logo Maker: This is the best free tool for professionals, you can easily make high-quality logo without any extra knowledge of designing. you can also browse readymade logo and customize as you like.
STEP #3: Know To design a theme or to modify a theme
There are basically two main ways of design a WordPress website: previously you know that, how to get themes ideas from other’s website, Now you can either take a ready-made theme and modify it here and there (you can also modify the PSD files – most paid WordPress themes come with PSD files), or you can build the actual structure from the ground up.
To cut the discussion short, we’re fans of the former. If you take an existing WordPress theme or a WordPress theme framework then you get a lot of functionality out of the box. And that’s functionality that’s been tested by other WordPress Users and proven to work properly.
Apart from that, you often get support for your premium WordPress Theme or theme framework, and even if there’s no support then you at least get a community forum of some kind. In other words, in case of any difficulties, there’s always someone you can ask for help. Not the situation when building your design from scratch. making own Themes is waste of time if you aren’t a full-time WordPress developer. If you don’t have knowledge of WordPress Codex, Don’t waste your time in theme development.
The main theme store we trust – that’s because we’re the ones running it – is Genesis Framework and Magzine Pro Theme. An old player on the theme market, I give you that, but what’s different here is that I don’t sell you this themes. I recommend you some website who offer Free and paid themes for WordPress Install, this will helps you to build a stunning site.
1. WordPress.org: This is WordPress official Themes store for WP users.
2. Themeisle: This is another store for free WordPress Themes, you can download and use for free.
3. Colorlib: This is also theme store, you can check some themes here.
4. Genesis by StudioPress: This is a most popular framework for WordPress, almost 23% of WordPress website are using this framework. it is still around 60$, and a child theme is also required for genesis framework.
Design: how to design a blog on WordPress
STEP #1: Choose A Theme
Theme selection is a most difficult decision for every blogger. These are some tips to select a right theme for your website. Today, Readers likes simple and clean website interface. White background and a combination of some colorful menu are perfect for you. I am using Genesis Child Theme, This is Really Fantastic and easy Framework for WordPress developers. Go, grab and Upload a theme to your wp.
STEP #2: Header Design
A website logo tells a lot about your website. A creative logo is an essential part of a great website. Cut the discussion short, Design a beautiful logo using Free Logo Maker. Upload your logo to your website and show you’re creative.
Shortcut: Dashboard<Appearance<Customize<Header Image or Logo or Site Identity
STEP #3: Add Navigation Menu
Nav Menu is an eye of a website. This is very important for a website.
STEP #4: Homepage Design
Homepage design is an essential part of web design. Every WordPress themes have features to design a stunning homepage. Here I am using genesis theme so I will show you in this themes, how to design a stunning homepage.
Now you’re on widget edit screen, here is located following options
- Header: Add Search Box or 728px Banner on header right
- Sidebar: Add Email NewsLetter code or banner on sidebar, Social media links and author bio
- Home Top: in this section Add Featured post or author bio page
- Home Section Middle: This is for blog posts section
- Home Bottom Section: Add your digital products on this section, use essay digital downloads plugins for digital products selling
- Footer: Add all your pages, custom texts and email newsletter form
- After entry: This section is added for extra features.
Now you’re all set. Your Design is Finished. add some essential plugins and collect information regarding plugins. if you have any question ask in comments. be social, share.